“How do we change the world? One random act of kindness at a time” - Morgan Freeman. The definition of kindness is possessing the qualities of being friendly, generous and considerate. There is a saying, “It costs nothing to be kind.” It sounds simple, but sometimes a smile or ‘hello’ is enough to cheer someone’s mood.
Recent challenges of the pandemic mean now, more than ever is a great time to be kind. Some acts of kindness could be:
- Reach out and check on friends and family.
- Give a parent a break by offering to babysit.
- Give a shout out to a local business by leaving a positive review after a good experience.
- Donate good condition clothes to charity stores or towels and blankets to animal shelters.
- Send a thank-you email to a colleague.
- Volunteer your time to a worthy cause.
- Help a neighbour by mowing the lawns or picking up groceries.
Small acts of kindness can have a tremendous impact on both the person being kind and the receiver. Studies have found that kindness, compassion and giving are associated with:
- improved happiness
- good mental health
- a stronger immune system
- reduced anxiety, stress and depression
- improved relationships
- a longer life.
Library members have loaned kindness themed items 11,227 times! Find ideas on how to express kindness to yourself and others.
Libraries love these eBooks:
- The Kindness Revolution: How we can restore hope, rebuild trust and inspire optimism by Hugh Mackay
- The Kindness of Birds by Merlinda Bobis
- Humankind: A hopeful history by Rutger Bregman
- Channel of Peace: Stranded in Gander on 9/11 by Kevin Tuerff.
To get started download the cloudLibrary and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and passwords.
Try out these eAudiobooks:
- Channel Kindness: Stories of kindness and community by Lady Gaga
- Radical Kindness: The life-changing power of giving and receiving by Angela Santomero
- The Kindness Pact: 8 promises to make you feel good about who you are and the life you live by Domonique Bertolucci
- Duty of Care: One doctor’s story of the Covid-19 crisis by Dr Dominic Pimenta
- The Hero Next Door by various authors.
To get started, download the BorrowBox and Libby apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
DVD titles that inspire kindness:
Listen on the go to these kindness podcasts:
- In conversation with Alex Sloan of ANU and Hugh Mackay, The Kindness Revolution
- The Kindness Project with Chris and Charlotte Daems
- Kindness Think Tank with Cole Baker Bagwell
- Understanding Kindness with Dani (Spotify podcasts).
Search for these free podcast titles from your preferred podcast provider.
On the web
More ways to express kindness:
- Food Bank | Sunshine Coast Community Services
- Ways you can help | Sunshine Coast Animal Refuge (SCARs)
- Ozharvest Sunshine Coast
- Community volunteers | Sunshine Coast Council
- Beach clean up program | Sunshine Coast Council
- How you can help others | DV Connect
- World Kindness Australia.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.