Drinks to help you stay super healthy
With the coming of Spring, health and vitality are key to getting the best out of the warmer weather. Why not try juice making with gorgeous gem-coloured spring vegetables and fruit or give super healthy smoothies a go.
What is the difference between a juice and a smoothie? A smoothie is everything – juice, pulp, skin and all. Smoothies are high in fiber, making them favourites for detoxing or as a digestive aid.
No juicer? You can use your blender. Simply pour the liquid through a coffee filter. Smoothies on the other hand are a blender’s best friend.
Reasons to juice or smoothie at home
- Juicing can save you money.
- Fruits and vegetables have antioxidants which neutralise free radicals in your body.
- Vegie scraps and bottom-of-the-bowl fruit rejects are great for your chosen health drink.
- Bottled juice can kill nutrients through the pasturisation process.
- Commercial products may also include preservatives and additives.
Tips for the best juice
- Use a ratio of 2:1 (vegies to fruit).
- Soft vegetables like spinach, kale, mint, parsley and cucumber are great.
- Your body craves different enzymes so mix up your blend.
- Drink your juice fresh as it separates and the nutrients begin to break down.
- Hard and soft fruits are great in combination.
Find out more with the beginners guide to making juice.
Top 5 books
Reserve these titles to help you blend and juice up in the kitchen:
- Super Blend Me! by Jason Vale
- Juices & Smoothies by The Australian Women’s Weekly
- Crazy sexy juice: 100+ simple juice, smoothie & nut milk recipes to supercharge your health by Kris Carr
- Juice it! by Robin Ansell
- 100 best juices, smoothies and healthy snacks by Emily Von Euw
Top 5 eBooks
Super healthy juicing is easy with these eBooks:
- 50 Best Fruit Juices and Smoothies: Tasty, Fresh, and Easy to Make! by Adams Media
- The Healthy Juicer’s Bible: Lose Weight, Detoxify, Fight Disease, and Live Long by Farnoosh Brock
- Detox Juicing: 3-Day, 7-Day, and 14-Day Cleanses for Your Health and Well-Being by Morena Escardo
- Smoothie-licious: Power-Packed Smoothies and Juices the Whole Family Will Love by Jenna Helwig
- Healthy Gut, Flat Stomach Drinks: 75 Low-FODMAP Tonics, Smoothies, Infusions, and More by Danielle Capalino
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and passwords. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Browse these health eMagazines for juicing inspiration:
- Australian Natural Health Magazine
- Good Health
- Healthy Food Guide
- Good Food Eat well, Healthy
- Prevention Magazine Australia
To get started reading free eMagazines, download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Stream these juicy documentaries on Kanopy:
- Real Men Juicing
- 7 days 2 guys 1 juicer
- Beyond Food – Exploring all the Possibilities of Modern Health and Wellness
- How Food is Digested and Absorbed
Listen on the go with these smooth podcasts:
- Jason Vale’s Podcast – Jason shares his juicing wisdom with movers and shakers in the health, addiction and fitness world.
- Juice Guru Radio: Juicing for Health – featuring interviews with celebrities and leaders in the natural health movement.
On the web
- Discover more juice and smoothie tips for beginners
- Which juicer should you get? Choice
- Juicers Review & Buying Guide Canstar Blue.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.