Once the mark of an underground subculture, tattoos have well and truly stepped out of the shadows and into the streets. Tattoos have now become Ink, an artform that is part process, part personal statement.
The word tattoo comes from the Polynesian words ‘tatau’ or ‘tatu’, meaning mark made on the skin. They are performed on the most unique and challenging canvas on earth – the human body.
According to a 2018 survey in 18 countries across the world, 38% of respondents had tattoos and most were not satisfied with just one. This is a problem if you live in Turkey, Iran, Sri Lanka, North Korea or the United Arab Emirates. These countries do not allow tattoos.
If you are a stigmatophile (tattoo lover), there are many different techniques to choose from:
- Illustrative tattoo – a complex art piece involving realism and shading
- Banger tattoo – executed in a single session
- Fine line tattoo
- Freehand tattoo
- Stencil tattoo.
Even if you do not have a tattoo, you may admire the artwork and the vibe. Tattoos after all have an element of cool.
Whether it is learning about tattoos, taking the leap into bodyart or continuing your ink journey, you can find out more.
Get a fiction fix with these ink-inspired novels:
- The tattoo thief by Alison Belsham
- The strongest steel by Scarlett Cole
- The tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris
Read about ink with your kids:
Find more ink eBooks to read on the go:
- Science Ink: Tattoos of the Science Obsessed by Carl Zimmer
- Planet Ink: The Art and Studios of the World's Top Tattoo Artists by Dale Rio
- Maori Tattooing by H. G. Robley
- Living Canvas: Your Total Guide to Tattoos, Piercings, and Body Modification by Karen Hudson
- Art on Skin: Tattoos, Style, and the Human Canvas by Nancy Hajeski
To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and passwords. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
More resources available on eMagazines:
- The World’s Most Incredible Tattoos
To get started using free eMagazines download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Stream these tattoo documentaries on Kanopy:
- Tattoo Uprising - the artistic and historical roots of today's tattoo explosion
- Inside Tattooing - a unique documentary looking at the art of prison tattooing
- Tattoo Nation - in the United States one out of every three adults under forty has a tattoo! So what happened?
To set up a Kanopy account to stream more films and documentaries for free. First-time customer - select Add Library Card and enter your member number and password.
On the web
Check out these inspirations:
- Master canvas reveal - Ink Master
- Wild and weird superfan tattoos
- Top 10 most popular tattoos of all time
- Ed Hardy: the Godfather of Tattooing
- Find the Sunshine Coast’s best tattoo studios
Love the program? Complete the online survey.