Icy cold drinks are the true joy of summer. They cool you down, freshen you up and provide relief from the never-ending heat.
There are many favourites when it comes to home-made cold drinks. Lemonade - Iced Tea - Fruit punch. Have you heard of others like Kombucha, Infused Waters and Bubble Teas, or anti-inflammatory juices and smoothies? Mocktails are also a wonderful summer option for any time of the day. Mixing up a summer of indulgence that is healthy too is easy with some different ideas for DIY ice cold drinks.
Spritz up a dinner party or lazy summer afternoon. Treat yourself to a mocktail or flavoured water chilling by the pool or curled up on the deck reading through your summer booklist.
So, what are the differences between these delicious and tempting drinks?
- Kombucha - a drink produced by fermenting sweet tea with a culture of yeast and bacteria.
- Infused Water - called detox water, fruit flavoured water, or fruit infused water; infused water can generally be any combination of fruits, vegetables, and herbs immersed in cold water.
- Smoothie - a drink made from pureed raw fruit and/or vegetables, typically using a blender.
- Juice - made from the extraction or pressing of the natural liquid contained in fruit and vegetables.
- Mocktail - a non-alcoholic drink consisting of a mixture of fruit juices or other soft drinks.
- Bubble Tea or Boba - a tea-based drink originating in Taichung, Taiwan in the early 1980s that includes chewy tapioca balls "boba" or "pearls".
Which drink is best is something for you to decide! Enjoy choosing. Read on for more icy cold inspiration.
Libraries love these Summer drink eBooks:
- 50 best fruit juices and smoothies: Tasty, fresh and easy to make!
- The farmhouse culture guide to fermenting
- Kombucha: Healthy recipes for naturally fermented tea drinks
- True brews: How to craft fermented cider, beer, wine, sake, soda, mead, kefir and kombucha at home
- Smoothie-licious: Power-packed smoothies and juices the whole family will love
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Barrel into these eMagazines:
- Australian Healthy Food Guide
- Clean Eating
- Good Health
To get started reading free eMagazines, download the Libby app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Set up a soundtrack with these surf rock tunes on Freegal:
Summer by Calvin Harris
Be the One by Dua Lipa
Watermelon Sugar by Harry Styles
Under the Boardwalk by The Drifters
Summertime by Ella Fitzgerald and Louise Armstrong
Sitting on the Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding
In the Summertime by Mungo Jerry
Unlimited music streaming and download five tracks per week on Freegal. Download from the Sony catalogue and thousands of smaller labels. Sign in with your library card member number and password.
Listen on the go with these Summer health podcasts :
- Real health podcast: How to eat, drink and stay healthy over Christmas
- The ultimate health podcast: Smoothies, juices, elixirs and everything in between
- For all drinks: Delicious non-alcoholic beverages for leading a fun, healthy, and inclusive lifestyle
Search for these free podcast titles and more in your preferred podcast provider.
On the web
- Urban list ranks bubble tea flavours.
- Delish explains how to make Kombucha including that tricky ingredient called the scoby or bacteria culture!
- Taste presents the best mocktail recipes for summer.
- Everyday Health explains seven ways to make water taste better.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.