Tough times don't last, but tough people do
Australian singer Helen Reddy created a 1970s feminist anthem when she composed the song, I Am Woman, sharing her feminine strength with a generation of women.
Discover the lives of trailblazing women who changed the world around them. Real stories that capture the many triumphs and trials that have littered the path to success.
Women of achievement are found in any field. They are scientists, businesswomen, politicians, artists, activists and more:
- Ariana Huffington, founder of the first internet newspaper Huffington Post, sold her business for 100s of millions. Ariana then went on to found Thrive Global which focuses on helping businesspeople manage burnout and stress.
- Michelle Obama, lawyer and first lady to the American President Barak Obama, became a powerful advocate for women and girls as she shared the spotlight with one of the most recognisable men on earth.
- Greta Thunberg inspired hundreds of thousands of students around the world to participate in Fridays for the Future protests and took environmental concerns out of the schoolyard and onto the global stage.
- Julia Gillard has said, "I was prime minister for three years and three days. Three years and three days of resilience. Three years and three days of changing the nation. Three years and three days for you to judge."
These stories inspire women to find that inner strength and learn from the wisdom of others. If you believe that tough times don’t last, but tough people do, then you have found your tribe.
Top 5 Books
Reserve these physical items and collect from your local library:
- No one is too small to make a difference by Greta Thunberg
- The book of gutsy women by Hillary Rodham Clinton
- Jacinda Ardern: a new kind of leader by Madeleine Chapman
- In the company of women: inspiration and advice from over 100 makers, artists, and entrepreneurs by Grace Bonney
- Barty: power and glory: the inspiring journey to the top of world tennis by Ron Reed
Read about women who have earned success with these eBooks:
- Becoming by Michelle Obama
- Accidental Feminists by Jane Caro
- Brutally Honest by Mel Brown
- Fight Like a Girl by Clementine Ford
Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Listen to winning stories about women on eAudiobooks:
- The Good Girl Stripped Bare by Tracey Spicer
- Don't Stop Believin' by Olivia Newton-John
- The School of Restoration by Philippa Tyndale
- She I Dare Not Name by Donna Ward
Need help setting up your device for eAudiobooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Watch provoking female directed movies on Beamafilm:
- Suffragette – the early feminists who went underground to advance their movement
- Strangerland – parents pushed to the brink as they try to find their teenage children in the remote Australian desert
- Mary Shelley – a trailblazing woman who defied convention and channelled her innermost demons into a legend for the age.
Listen to these inspirational songs on Freegal:
- I Am Woman by Helen Ready
- Respect by Aretha Franklin
- Just Because I’m a Woman by Dolly Parton
- Can’t Hold Us Down by Christine Aguilera
- Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
Love the program? Complete the online survey.