An indulgent high tea is a great way to celebrate a special occasion. Hosting your own party means you can control the cost and select your favourite finger foods.
Dust off your tiered cake stand, or if you do not own one, use your best platters and spruce up the table with a tablecloth and some decorations. Offer your guests a drink on arrival, coffee or a variety of teas like Earl Grey or herbal. If the weather is warmer, then iced tea can be a refreshing tipple.
Rules do not apply when it comes to food, but the standard afternoon tea comprises of finger sandwiches, cakes and scones. If you are wanting to jazz it up, then add some pastries or petit fours. Learn to bake scones like a superstar and host a classy high tea in style.
Library members have loaned baking themed items 30,267 times! Get ideas on how to host your own high tea with these baking and tea themed titles.
Get out of the kitchen and relax with these eBooks:
- The Wisdom of Tea: life lessons from the Japanese tea ceremony by Noriko Morishita
- Cake confidence by Mandy Merriman
- Martha Stewarts cakes by Martha Stewart
- Sweet and skinny by Marisa Churchill
- Creative baking: deco chiffon cake basics by Susanne Ng
- Margaret Fulton’s Baking Classics by Margaret Fulton
- One Bowl Baking: simple, from scratch recipes for delicious desserts by Yvonne Ruperti
- Gluten-Free cupcakes: 50 irresistible recipes made with almond and coconut flour by Elana Amsterdam
To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and passwords.
Work up an appetite with these eMagazines
Get started using free eMagazines online or download the Libby app. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Bake up a storm listening to these eAudiobooks
- The cake maker’s wish by Josephine Moon
- Cherry Slice by Jennifer Stone
- The cake shop in the garden by Carole Matthews
- Devil’s Food by Kerry Greenwood
- Coffeeland: a history by Augustine Sedgewick
- The peppermint tea chronicles by Alexander McCall Smith
- The Wisdom of Tea: life lessons from the Japanese Tea Ceremony by Noriko Morishita
To get started, download the BorrowBox and Libby apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Watch afternoon tea movie scenes in these DVDs
- Tea with the dames
- The second best exotic Marigold Hotel
- Alice in Wonderland
- Tea with Mussolini
- Downton Abbey: the motion picture
Listen on the go to these baking themed podcasts
- Cookbook Divas podcast by Cookbook Divas
- On your marks, get set, bake! By GGW Media
- Preheated baking podcast by Andrea Ballard and Stefin Kohn
- Table manners with Jessie Ware
- Let’s talk cake by Karey and Savannah
Search for these free podcast titles from your preferred podcast provider.
On the web
Need more high tea #inspo? Discover more great sites:
- How to Host a High Tea Party | High Tea Society
- Baking 101 – Tips and Tricks | Bake Play Smile
- 36 afternoon tea recipe ideas | GoodtoKnow
- How to make tea | T2
- High tea and afternoon tea: Do you know the difference? | The cup of life
- 10 ways to nail the perfect scone, every time | SBS Food
Love the program? Complete the online survey.