Where were you when you heard Kurt Cobain had died?
Millions mourned the loss of the Godfather of Grunge paying homage to the band that put Seattle on the musical world map. The Grunge movement rejected the 1980’s glam and metal rock and morphed into a global alternative music and lifestyle phenomenon.
By 1994 bands like Mudhoney, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Temple of the Dog, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Screaming Trees, Mother Love Bone, Jane’s Addiction, Hole, Melvins, Paw, Veruca Salt, Candlebox, L7, Smashing Pumpkins and Green River dominated the charts and crafted the soundtrack of many a Generation X’er.
Did you know that rock music titles have been loaned 224,959 times?
You can revisit this pivotal moment in musical history. Dig out that flannie or pop on a cardie, pull on your docs and get ready to rock out or read these Grunge classics.
Top 5 books
Deep dive into these grunge titles:
- Serving the servant: remembering Kurt Cobain by Danny Goldberg.
- Girl in a band by Kim Gordon. Kim takes you back to the New York circa 1980s and '90s that gave rise to Sonic Youth.
- Pearl Jam FAQ: all that’s left to know about Seattle’s most enduring band by Thomas Edward Harkins and Bernard M. Corbett.
- Nirvana: the biggest rock band of the '90s by Gillian G. Gaar
- Total f*cking Godhead: the biography of Chris Cornell
Top 10 CDs
Relive the Grunge sound:
- Singles Soundtrack Seattle sounds from Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Screaming Trees and Mudhoney
- Bleach Nirvana the 1989 critically acclaimed debut album
- Temple of the Dog rock supergroup with Soundgarden’s Chris Cornell and members of Pearl Jam
- Ten Pearl Jam: an absolute machine of an album, released 1991
- Nevermind Nirvana: the 1991 release, with sales of 30 million world-wide
- Dirt Alice in Chains: Rolling Stone listed this as #26 in the 100 greatest metal albums of all time
- Core Stone Temple Pilots: many songs remain rock staples today
- Siamese Dream Smashing Pumpkins
- Montage of heck the home recordings of Kurt Cobain
- Vitalogy Pearl Jam: the second-fastest selling album in history
Settle in to watch these Grunge style docos and movies:
- Soaked in bleach: a documentary film about the death of Kurt Cobain: reveals the events behind Kurt Cobain's death as seen through the eyes of Tom Grant.
- The Crow: starring the infamous Brandon Lee in this classic Hollywood-gothic film with timeless soundtrack.
- Reality Bites: 1994, directed by Ben Stiller, starring Winona Ryder, Ethan Hawke, Janeane Garofalo and Steve Zahn about the disenfranchised lives of Generation X.
- Cobain: montage of heck: documentary presenting an illuminating and honest portrait of the Nirvana front-man that captures the contradictions that made up his character.
- Unplugged in New York: Nirvana – recorded live in 1993, this DVD remains essential of-the-time viewing.
Want more? Get into these Grunge biography eBooks:
- This is a call: the life and times of Dave Grohl by Paul Brannigan
- Everybody loves our town: a history of Grunge by Mark Yarm
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and passwords. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Create your own Grunge playlist with Freegal with these top 12 top grunge tracks:
- Smells Like Teen Spirit – Nirvana
- Spoonman – Soundgarden
- Alive – Pearl Jam
- Hunger Strike – Temple of the Dog
- Vasoline – Stone Temple Pilots
- Them Bones – Alice in Chains
- Mother Love Bones – Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns
- Bullet with Butterfly Wings – Smashing Pumpkins
- Here Comes Sickness – Mudhoney
- Nearly Lost You – Screaming Trees
- Seether – Veruca Salt
- Mountain Song – Jane’s Addiction
Unlimited music streaming and download five (5) tracks per week. Download from the Sony catalogue and thousands of smaller labels. Sign in with your member number and password.
Get more great rock reads with these music eMagazines:
- NME special collectors – Nirvana
- Play Like Your Heroes: Rock
- Classic Rock
- Guitar Player
- Guitar World
- Q Magazine
- Rolling Stone
- Rolling Stone Australia
- Total Guitar
To get started reading free eMagazines, download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Settle into the sofa to stream this documentary on Kanopy:
- Sound City: one of the greatest unsung recording studios – deep in the San Fernando Valley, sits Sound City which became the birthplace to seminal albums defined in 20th century music, including Nirvana. Directed by Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters), see interviews and performances from some of rock and roll’s great.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.