Essential oils have rapidly gained popularity in recent years. Shifting from the realm of high-end day spas and alternative culture, these aromatic treasures are a billion-dollar business.
Pure essential oils are highly concentrated extracts of plant material - such as seeds, flowers, stems or roots. This essence gives plants a scent, provides protection from hazardous environment conditions and aids in pollination.
For centuries different cultures have used essential oils and plant ingredients to improve their health and physical wellbeing. Scent is so powerful that it can change your mood, emotions and everyday experience of life. So, what essential oils should you incorporate into your daily life?
Here are seven popular essential oils and some of the health claims linked to them:
- Lavender: used to help relieve stress and anxiety and promote good sleep.
- Peppermint: used to boost energy, soothe sore muscles and aid digestion.
- Lemon: is cleansing, uplifting and can reduce tension.
- Tea Tree: used to boost immunity, fight infections, acne and insect bites.
- Ylang-Ylang: used to treat headaches, nausea, and skin conditions.
- Bergamot: used to reduce stress and improve skin conditions like eczema.
- Chamomile: used to promote relaxation and reduce stress and anxiety.
Safety first! Always read the directions on the bottle. Queensland Health provides information on using essential oils safely
Libraries love these wellness eBooks:
- Essential oils for Beauty, Wellness, and the Home: 100 Natural, Non-toxic Recipes for the Beginner and Beyond by Alicia Atkinson
- Everyday Chinese Medicine: Healing Remedies for Immunity, Vitality, and Optimal Health by Mindi Counts
- The Garden Apothecary: the Happy Gut by Reece Carter
Contact the eLibrary Helpdesk for help downloading eBooks and more.
Browse these natural health eMagazines:
- Australian Natural Health Magazine
- Mother Earth Living
To get started using free eMagazines download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Listen on the go with these podcasts:
- The Essential Oil Revolution: with essential oils educator Samantha Lee Wright
- Aromatic Wisdom Podcast: The Voice of Aromatherapy
- Aromatherapy Library: Essential Oil Science & Art – Uses & Benefits
On the web
- Keeperofthehome.org shows how you can use eight common essential oils in your home
- Learn how you can make your own essential oils at home with DIY Natural
- Find out how to blend and add essential oils to your bath routine with Good House Keeping
Love the program? Complete the online survey.