Shake your shimmy
Socks off the sofa and onto the dance floor
It’s never been a better time to shake your shimmy. Get your Footloose, Flashdance and Dirty Dancing moves on in the living room with Libraries. Learn a short dance routine and work up a sweat to a mix of funk and disco jams with this 10 minute class.
There’s plenty of dance styles to suit everyone. From breakdance, East Coast swing, jive, ballet, jazz, tap, hip-hop, ballroom, house, Highland fling, Mambo, Rumba, Cha Cha, Salsa, Bossa Nova, turkey trot, the twist, Watusi, line dancing, square dance, electric boogaloo, Harlem shake, locking, popping, vogueing, boogie-woogie, headbanging, Charleston, Foxtrot, jitterbug, rock n rolling, the Nutbush, twerking, krumping and whatever you’d call how we danced in the ‘80’s.
Sunshine Coast Libraries members have borrowed dance-related items 108,088 times! While you're on the couch, check out the range of titles on eAudiobook, eBooks and eMagazines available through Libraries. Free access 24/7 with your library card.
Head to Freegal for more slamming dance tracks.
Top ten dance movies to love during lockdown
Get inspired by these popular dance films:
- Dirty Dancing
- Strictly Ballroom
- Billy Elliot
- Saturday Night Fever
- West Side Story
- Singing in the Rain
- Step Up
Libraries also likes Moulin Rouge, Stomp the Yard, Staying Alive, Chicago, A Chorus Line, Bring it On, Shall We Dance, West Side Story, Center Stage, Save the Last Dance, Fame, La La Land, White Nights, Take the Lead, You Got Served, Black Swan, Rocky Horror Picture Show, High School Musical, Girls Just Want to Have Fun, A Chorus Line and Magic Mike.
Great dance moments on film
Dirty Dancing An all-time dance favourite - relive Patrick Swayze at his finest.
Grease The final number in this iconic flick starring Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta.
Singing in the Rain Gene Kelly inspired millions of dance wanna-be’s with his tap moves.
First time downloading from the eLibrary?
Introducing the eLibrary Helpdesk Service! If you are looking for something to read, watch or listen to, Libraries have a huge range of online books, music, movies and magazines just for you. Contact libraries to get immediate and expert help with accessing and using the eLibrary on your device. eLibrary Helpdesk staff will help connect you to your favourite authors, the music you love, great movies to entertain the whole family and a great range of magazines. The eLibrary Helpdesk operates between 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. Get reading, watching and listening online and access the eLibrary now.
Stream these dance tracks on Freegal
Freegal has unlimited music streaming with five (5) track downloads per week. Download from the Sony catalogue and thousands of smaller labels. Sign in with your member number and password.
Top sock shakin’ dance tracks to get you started on your playlist:
Uptown Funk Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars
Twist and Shout The Beatles
Cotton Eye Joe Rednex
Nutbush City Limits Ike and Tina Turner
Le Freak CHIC
Hey Boy Hey Girl Chemical Brothers
Moves like Jagger Maroon 5 and Christina Aguilera
A Little Less Conversation Elvis Presley
Take it Easy on Me Robin Thicke
Funky Town Pseudo Echo
Born to be Alive Patrick Hernandez
Black Betty Ram Jam
Let’s Dance David Bowie
Weapon of Choice Fatboy Slim
Hey Ya Outkast
Love Shack B 52’s
Bust a Move Young MC
Hot in Here Nelly
This is How We Do It Montell Jordan
Rock Around the Clock Bill Haley and his Comets
I Got a Woman Ray Charles
Johnny B Goode Chuck Berry
Jungle Boogie Kool and the Gang
Footloose Kenny Loggins
Addicted to Love Robert Palmer
Mickey Toni Basil
Jump Around House of Pain
Gonna Make You Sweat C+C Music Factory
Start Me Up Rolling Stones
Get on up this James Brown
Shake it Off Taylor Swift
Groove is in the Heart Deee-Lite
Canned Heat Jamiroquai
Stream dance documentaries and films on Kanopy
- Tapdancin’: an all-American dance form Highly entertaining documentary starring the whimsically fast-feet and acrobatic kicks and flips of tap legends.
- The Black Roots of Salsa: Cuban dance and music Be fascinated by this journey owing to Cuban culture, full of dance and music.
- Freedom: deconstructing urban dance Documentary series featuring some of the most eccentric, electric and leading edge urban dance performers, choreographers and dance companies.
- Rock the Box: shattering gender expectations in electronic dance music Electronic Dance Music (EDM) is the most lucrative sector in the music industry. This documentary captures the surreal lifestyle of a working DJ.
- Twist: the evolution of Rock and Roll dance Combining rare archival footage with interviews, Twist chronicles the evolution of rock and roll dance.
Strictly Ballroom – an Australian classic where a top ballroom dancer pairs with a left-footed local girl to dance at the National Championship.
Set up a Kanopy account and access more films for free. First time customers, select Add Library Card and enter your member number and password. Create a Kanopy account, then verify your email address. Repeat customers, login to Kanopy using your email and Kanopy password.
Stream dance documentaries and films on Beamafilm
- Dancer Follow Ukrainian-born ‘bad boy of ballet’ Sergei Polunin’s career.
- Born to dance Champion hip-hop dancer, Tu Kaea, has the chance to audition for the K-crew against the odds.
- Jimmy’s Hall In 1921 Jimmy Gralton builds a dance hall on a rural crossroads in Ireland on the brink of Civil War.
- Shake the Dust Chronicling three different break dance crews in the slums of Uganda, Yemen and Cambodia.
- Life in Movement Portrait of an obsessive artist and the sudden death of her collaborator dancer/choreographer Tanja Liedtke.
- Giselle The beautiful and moving ballet story.
- Beyonce: fierce and fabulous Watch the multi-platinum award winning recording artist’s life story.
Enjoy documentaries and movies with a focus on Australian stories and quality international content. First time customers, enter your library member number and create a Beamafilm account. Repeat customers, sign in with your email and your Beamafilm password.
Listen on the go with these dance related podcasts
- Movers and Shapers New York contemporary dance podcast interviewing global shapers of the dance world.
- The Dance Inspired by big dreams, big let downs and interviews with America’s successful dancers.
- The DJ History Weekly music and chat podcast featuring the best new electronic music and classics.
- BTR Latin Hip Hop Latest interviews with Reggaeton’s talented, raw and up and coming artists.
- Passion4dancing Ballroom Dancing made easy – become a better ballroom dancer with podcast dance lessons.
- Live. Love. Dance! Shares the struggles of women from all backgrounds and how dance empowers life’s daily pressures.
- Ballet and Dance Exclusive interviews with ballet dancers, choreographers and artistic directors from the world’s top dance and ballet companies.
- Belly Dance Life Get all the insights into belly dance lifestyle with Iana and star guests.
- Line Dance In-depth exploration of line dance and how it boosts creativity, confidence, promotes fitness, bolsters memory and improves quality of life.
All podcasts are free and available to listen on: Android: Google Play, Procast, Downcast, Pocket Casts, AntennaPod and Player FM. iOS: Apple Podcasts app, RadioPublic, Pocket Casts, Castbox, Podbean and Stitcher. You can also stream podcast from Spotify.