Not just for Nanna! Cross stitching is making a popular comeback as a way to relax and create.
So, what is cross stitching? Falling into the sewing family, cross stitch is a counted-thread embroidery in which X-shaped stitches are stitched together in pattern to form a picture. The stitcher counts the threads on a piece of evenweave fabric in each direction so that the stitches are of uniform size and appearance (Source: Wikipedia)
Time to get started. You will need:
- Fabric (get the ‘aida’ light colour option)
- Coloured thread
- Embroidery scissors
- Embroidery hoop
- Tapestry needle and needle minders (a minder looks after your loose needles)
Did you know that library members have loaned cross stitching items 1,335 times?
For tips, tricks and free pattern ideas, tuck into the below top five picks and classic cross stitching reads.
Get back to the cross stitch classics:
- Fantasy cross stitch: 60 spell-binding designs by Lesley Teare
- Magical cross stitch: over 25 enchanting fantasy designs by Claire Compton
- Donna Kooler’s 555 cross-stitch sampler motifs by Donna Kooler
- Cross stitch antique style samplers: over 30 cross stitch designs inspired by traditional samplers by Jane Greenoff
Free cross stitching #inspo without leaving the lounge.
- The World of Cross Stitching
- Retro Style Cross Stitch
- The Ultimate Forest Friends Cross Stitch Collection
- Cross Stitch Crazy
- The Ultimate Flowers Cross Stitch Collection
- Cute Cross Stitch
- Ultimate Cross Stitch Nature
- Cross Stitch Gold
To get started using free eMagazines download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Listen to new eAudiobook stories while you are stitching up a storm:
- The things we cannot say by Kelly Rimmer
- All our shimmering skies by Trent Dalton
- Where the truth lies by Karina Kilmore
- Drugs, guns and lies by Keith Banks
- Lawyer X by Anthony Dowley
- Honeybee by Craig Silvey
- Midnight Sun by Stephanie Meyer
To get started, download the BorrowBox, Libby, and uLibrary apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
On the web
Looking for more cross-stitching conversation and inspiration?
- A Beginner’s Guide to Cross Stitch | Stitched Modern
- 6 Cross Stitch Supplies for Beginners | Caterpillar Cross Stitch
- What Materials Do You Need for Cross Stitch | Studio Koekoek
- 200+ Free Cross Stitch Patterns to Download | DMC
Love the program? Complete the online survey.