Many Aussies are exiting big cities in record numbers to set up for rural life. World events have accelerated family decisions in making dramatic lifestyle changes.
The term ‘tree change’ evolved from people throwing in city living and heading to a more rural/country setting. Tree changers are people searching for a lifestyle with more fresh air and space, becoming more in touch with nature and enjoying community spirit.
Considering a lifestyle change is a big decision. Rural life may mean changing jobs and moving away from family and friends. Some wins of country living to contemplate are:
- A slower pace of life.
- Better living environment
- Reduced property prices and cost of living.
- Increased community spirit in small towns.
- Reduced career opportunities
- Isolation from family and friends
- Limited health care facilities
- Limited schooling options
Library members have loaned country living themed items 95,756 times. Learn more about country life with these great titles.
Start planning your tree change with these country living themed eBooks:
- Thirty thousand bottles of wine and a pig called Helga: A not so perfect tree change by Alexander Todd
- Mullumbimby by Melissa Lucashenko
- Real Dirt: how I beat my grid-life crisis by James Woodford
- Women of the land: eight rural women and their remarkable everyday lives by Liz Harfull
To get started download the cloudLibrary and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and passwords.
Dream about country life reading an eMagazines:
- Australian Country
- Australian Country Gardens
- Australian Country Homes
- Town and Country
- Farm and Ranch Living
Get started using free eMagazines online or download the Libby app. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Libraries love these country-town themed eAudiobooks:
- Down the dirt roads by Rachael Treasure
- The Dry by Jane Harper
- All our shimmering skies by Trent Dalton
- Position Doubtful by Kim Mahood
- Scrublands by Chris Hammer
- To love a sunburnt country by Jackie French
To get started, download the BorrowBox and Libby apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Reserve these small town living themed movies to enjoy:
Listen on the go with these tree-change podcasts
- Is a tree and sea-change all it’s cracked up to be? By Property Unpacked
- Advice for making a tree change with Chris Smith of 2GB
- Is a tree change what you really need? Life Matters with Lisa Leong
Search for these free podcast titles from your preferred podcast provider.
On the webCheck out more tree change info on the web:
- Tree change advice from people who’ve moved from the city | ABC Everyday
- The realities of making a sea or tree change | Domain
- 10 families who made the move to regional Australia | Homes to love
- It seemed like a good idea in lockdown, but it is moving to the country right for you? | Domain
Love the program? Complete the online survey.