7 great ways to get you hooked
Crochet is back, baby! Crocheting was one of the top ranking stay-at-home hobbies to have during the pandemic. So, why get hooked on crochet? Crochet is a great way to de-stress and is super easy to start with just a few dollars.
What is crocheting and what are the benefits? Not only is it a very relaxing and satisfying way to pass the time but it is also a great way to give yourself a screen break. Crocheting is not just limited to clothing. You can make art installations, blankets, soft toys, yarn bombings and more.
Crocheting is the process of creating textiles by using a crochet hook to interlock loops of yarn, thread or other strands of material. The difference between crochet and knitting, other than the tools used, is that each stitch in crochet is completed before the next one, while knitting keeps many stitches open at a time. Thanks Wikipedia
25+ crochet hacks for beginners
Did you know that there are over 150 crochet stitches or stitch patterns? They split into basic, advanced and unique variations. The most common stitch is the corner-to-corner or the C2C, as it is known to in the crochet underworld. Discover the top 10 most popular stitch patterns:
- Crochet Moss (or Granite Stitch)
- Single Crochet Mesh
- Thick and Thin Front Loop Single Crochet Stitch
- Puff Stitch (our favourite)
- Basic V
- V Stitch in Brick Repeat
- Basic Shell
- Treble Shell
- Lacy Treble Shell
- Staggered Spike
Time to get started. You will need:
- Crochet hooks
- Tapestry needle (also called darning or yarn needle)
- Stitch markers (optional)
- Hook case (to store your crochet hooks)
- Yarn bowl
- Ball winder
- Ergonomic hook
For more inside crocheting tools visit Sigoni Macaroni.
Did you know that library members have borrowed crocheting titles 18,555 times? For tips, tricks and free pattern ideas, tuck into these books and cool crocheting eMagazines.
Reserve these seven cool crocheting reads that will soon have you hook, yarn and stitcher:
Get these how-to-crochet reads anytime, anywhere:
- Beginners guide to crochet: 20 crochet projects for beginners by Sarah Shrimpton
- Ultimate crochet stitch bible: 500 stitches, granny squares, flowers, motifs and edgings by Collins and Brown
- Cute and easy crochet: learn to crochet with 35 adorable projects by Nicki Trench
- Crochet at home: 25 clever projects for colourful living by Brett Bara
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and passwords. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Get free cool crocheting inspiration without leaving the lounge:
- 101 Quick and Easy Crochet Makes
- Beginners Guide to Crochet
- Crochet Celebrations
- Crochet for Beginners
- Crochet Stitch Collection
- Crochet Traditions
- Ideas Crochet
- Simply Crochet
To get started using free eMagazines download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Looking for more online crochet tips?
Find more information to get you hooked up:
- How to for beginners | The Spruce Crafts
- How to crochet: 15 steps with pictures | wikiHow Life
- Crochet: A craft that we are hooked onto during lockdown | The Hindu
- 5 team craft projects to tackle during lockdown | Jaarn
Love the program? Complete the online survey.