Coffee. The internationally recognised 'heart-starter'. Your non-negotiable morning ritual. The recyclable coffee cup is now up there with the smartphone – do not leave home without it. Enjoy some quick and easy information to help you brew your own happiness at home.
How do Australian's stack up in the coffee stats?
- 1.3 million coffees are sold daily in Australia.
- 2.25 billion cups of coffee are consumed in the world every day (Source: Wikipedia)
- 27% of all coffees bought are lattes, 25% are flat whites, 20% are cappuccinos, 8% are long blacks and 6% are espressos.
- The average cup costs $4.13.
- 54% of coffees are paid for by card.
- Australians consume 1.875 million kgs of coffee per year.
- 23% of coffees at cafes are ordered as takeaways.
- The Australian coffee industry is worth approximately $2 billion (source)
- Australians are recognised as making a quality brew, opening successful cafes world-wide, particularly New York and California.
8 coffee trends right now
- Iced coffee is hot
- Almond milk (oat milk a close second)
- Black coffee
- Sustainable packaging
- Espresso grinders
- Automated espresso popping up in cafes
- Cafes going cashless
Did you know that library members have borrowed coffee related items 44,890 times? Pop on the kettle, find the plunger and release the beans for more quality caffeine reads.
Binge this sweet how-to Swedish lifestyle eBook anywhere, anytime:
- Fika: the art of the Swedish Coffee break with recipes for pastries, breads and other treats by Anna Brones
To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and passwords. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
More coffee resources available on eMagazines:
To get started using free eMagazines download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Stream these caffeinated documentaries on Kanopy:
- Connected by Coffee: the story of Latin America coffee farmers
- Coffee Futures: a series of films from Turkey around coffee fortune telling
- Coffee: Love or Addiction? 500 billion cups of coffee are served yearly. Explore how coffee is harvested, how caffeine works on your body and the origins of free-trade
- Black Gold: coffee is worth over $80billion. Find out how this impacts the world
- The Starbucks Experience: a marketing strategy case study
To set up a Kanopy account to stream more films and documentaries for free. First-time customer - select Add Library Card and enter your member number and password.
Listen on the go with eAudiobooks:
- Coffeeland by Augustine Sedgewick
To get started, download the BorrowBox, Libby, and uLibrary apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
On the web
Want more bean for your buck? Check out these web links:
- Four cheap and easy ways to make coffee at home without a machine
- Making the perfect cup of coffee at home, whatever your tastes
- How to make coffee at home using 7 different brewing methods
- Nine rules for how to make a perfect cup of coffee
Love the program? Complete the online survey.