Candle making has come a long way since the days when it was an arduous but necessary household chore. Candle making goes as far back as 206 BC and different methods popped up across many cultures. Candles today are mostly produced to please the senses as a luxury decorating item.
There is nothing more mesmerising than the flicker of a candle’s dancing flame. They bring a sense of cosiness and calm to any home. Whether scented or not, nothing beats a relaxing soak in the tub surrounded by the gentle mood lighting that only candles can provide.
Candles are good to have on hand when the electrical power drops out – they are also a very practical household tool to keep stashed under the kitchen sink for times of emergency.
Whether you think soy, beeswax or even that drawer full of old kids crayons there are a multitude of ways to begin. You can add scent or texture, get creative with moulds and containers not to mention fabric or paper outer decoration.
If you have always wanted to try your hand at making your own candles, but do not have a clue where to begin. Sunshine Coast Libraries have you covered with this comprehensive collection of materials to get you started.
Make your own Ombre Stacked Candles – a simple no fuss project you can even colour coordinate with your home furnishing shades. For more great candle-making tips and tricks, check out Sunshine Coast Libraries Become a Candle Maker online program.
Reserve these physical items and collect from your local library:
- The scented candle workshop: creating perfect home fragrance, from wax to wick by Niko Dafkos
- Candle making basics: all the skills and tools you need to get started by Eric Ebeling
- Making candles: create 20 decorative candles to keep or to give by Sarah Ditchfield
- Homemade: 80+ household essentials to inspire your everyday by Eleanor Ozich
- Seasonal Scandi crafts: over 45 projects and quick ideas for beautiful decorations & gifts by Christiane Myers
- Soy candles: how to make soy wax candles by Glenda Short
- The handmade home: 75 projects for soaps, candles, picture frames, pillows, wreaths and scrapbooks by Country Living.
Light a candle with these eBooks:
- Beehive Alchemy: Projects and recipes using honey, beeswax, propolis and pollen to make soap, candles, creams, salves and more by Petra Ahnert
- The Beeswax Workshop: How to make your own natural candles, cosmetics, cleaners, soaps, healing balms and more by Chris Dalziel
- The Big Little Book of Magick: a Wiccan’s guide to altars, candles, pendulums and healing spells by D.J Conway.
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and passwords. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Browse these crafting eMagazines for inspiration:
- The Craft Book Volume 1
- American Craft
- Mollie Makes
- Peppermint Magazine
- Australian Homespun
To get started using eMagazines, download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Chilled out albums for making candles on Freegal:
- Chillout jazz
- Peaceful beach chillout
- Chillout café lounge
- Pure classical chillout
- The chillout player
- Chillout harmony
- Winter chillout music.
Listen on the go with these candle making podcasts:
On the web
- Aussie Candle Supplies have a great blog with helpful videos
- Eroma: inspiring creativity have some fantastic guides to get you started
- CandleScience: a videoblog
Love the program? Complete the online survey.