Like a balm for your body and soul
After days cooped up in the house or stuck in front of a screen, there is nothing better than getting out amongst all the beauty Mother Nature has to offer on an invigorating bushwalk. Like a balm to your body and soul, a bushwalk can restore your mental balance and gently stretch those underused muscles, releasing feel good endorphins along the way.
Bushwalking is free exercise and the Sunshine Coast is a bushwalker’s paradise. Regardless of whether you like to hug the coast, meander through lush forests or climb up a mountain there are many beautiful walks to choose from.
Check out the fantastic Adventure Sunshine Coast to plan your next bushwalk. With over 150 free, self-guided walking, cycling, mountain biking, horse riding and canoeing activities, Adventure Sunshine Coast is the ultimate guide to the great outdoors of the Sunshine Coast. See maps, distances, colour photos and all the walks are graded so you know exactly what you are up against before you get there! They even indicate if you can take your four legged walking companions. You can create an account to save your favourite trails and create a wishlist. Which walk will you do first? There is over 120 to choose from.
Essential bushwalking tips and tricks:
- Consider the weather elements and make sure it’s a good day for a bushwalk; no thunderstorms predicted or torrential rain/floods.
- Make sure you are suitably attired for your adventure. Comfortable footwear, sun-safe clothing and a hat are vital.
- Slap on the sunscreen and do not forget to reapply regularly; depending on where you are going, some insect repellent might be wise.
- Make sure you have adequate water and some energy boosting snacks.
- Know where you are going, tell someone else where you are headed and take your mobile phone.
- Pack a mini first aid kit in your backpack.
- Make sure you enjoy the wildlife but cause no harm and remember to leave only footprints – all your rubbish goes home with you!
Just remember not all trails are open just yet, so be sure to comply with COVID-19 safety guidelines and rules. For national parks in Queensland check here for the latest advice. So go on… get out there! Breathe in the cleansing fresh air, bask in the sunshine and get those feet a moving while you rediscover the Sunshine Coast through bushwalks!
First time downloading from the eLibrary? Join online. Just enter your details for membership to access thousands of online materials.
Introducing the eLibrary Helpdesk Service! If you are looking for something to read, watch or listen to, Libraries have a huge range of online books, music, movies and magazines just for you. Contact libraries to get immediate and expert help with accessing and using the eLibrary on your device. eLibrary Helpdesk staff will help connect you to your favourite authors, the music you love, great movies to entertain the whole family and a great range of magazines. The eLibrary Helpdesk operates between 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. Get reading, watching and listening online and access the eLibrary now.
Libraries love these walking eBooks.
- Tai Chi Walking: a low-impact path to better health by Robert Chuckrow
- A walk in the woods: the world’s funniest travel writer takes a hike by Bill Bryson
- Walk strong, look up: the most powerful exercise for your body and soul by Chantel Hobbs
- Lonely Planet Hiking & tramping in New Zealand by Jim Dufresne
- Stretching anatomy by Arnold G. Nelson
Take these simple eBook steps to access more walking ebooks.
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and passwords.
Libraries love these walking eAudiobooks.
- In praise of walking by Shane O’Mara
- The January man: a year of walking Britain by Christopher Somerville
Borrow up to 30 eAudiobooks on your device. To get started, download the: ePlatform RBDigital and Libby apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Listen on the go with these walking-related podcasts.
- Australian Hiker podcast: Covering gear, practice, trail reviews, news, questions and media
- The Aussie Outdoorsman: Adventuring through the Australian outdoors
- Out there: the podcast that explores big questions through intimate stories outdoors
- Trek Coach Talks: the latest travel hiking stories from around the world
All podcasts are free and available to listen on: Android - Google Play, Procast, Downcast, Pocket Casts, Player FM and AntennaPod. iOS - Apple Podcasts app, RadioPublic, Pocket Casts, Castbox, Podbean and Stitcher. You can also stream podcasts from Spotify.
A rainforest bushwalk awaits. Meander through the cool shaded paths at Kondalilla National Park on the gorgeous Blackall Range. Waterfalls and incredible views will be the reward.