Do you sometimes forget if you left the iron on, turned the oven off, or maybe where you have parked your car? You might worry that your memory is not what it once was.
The normal ageing process impacts the circulation of the brain, and our memory can start to deteriorate. This can cause mild forgetfulness or times when you cannot quite remember a word or name.
Brain training works and it is important to keep your brain muscles active through activities like reading, brainteasers or puzzles, learning a new language or memorising music. These activities may keep the neural pathways and connections functioning which reduces the risk of dementia in the long-term.
Top tips to a healthy brain
- Exercise and challenge your brain – do not be a couch potato
- Nourish your brain with a healthy diet, drink alcohol in moderation
- Enjoy physical activity
- Make 'safety first' a priority – wear a helmet, drive safely, take any head injury seriously
- Learn to manage stress and depression
- Relax and sleep well
- Have regular checks for blood pressure, diabetes, heart rate and cholesterol
- Do not smoke or use illegal drugs
Libraries love these eBooks:
- The XX Brain: The groundbreaking approach for women to prevent dementia and Alheimer’s disease and improve brain health by Lisa Mosconi
- The Brain Health Book: Using the power of neuroscience to improve your life by John Randolph
- Diving for Seahorses by Hilde Ostby
- Keep Your Brain Alive: 83 Neurobic exercises to help prevent memory loss and increase mental fitness by Lawrence C Katz.
To get started download the ePlatform by Libby and Cloud Library apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and passwords.
Exercise your brain reading science eMagazines:
- Popular Science Australia
- Popular Science
- New Scientist
Get started using free eMagazines online or download the Libby app. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Listen anywhere, anytime to eAudiobooks:
- Memory Craft by Lynne Kelly
- Life Lessons from a Brain Surgeon: The new science and stories of the brain by Rahul Jandial
- The Brain’s Way of Healing: Stories of remarkable recoveries and discoveries by Norman Doidge
- The Brain by Ammar al-Chalabi.
To get started, download the BorrowBox and Libby apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Grab a DVD and learn more about your brain:
- The Female Brain
- Redesign My Brain. 1 - with Todd Sampson
- Redesign My Brain. 2 - with Todd Sampson
- The Brain - with David Eagleman.
Listen on the go with these podcasts:
- A Grey Matter Podcast by Queensland Brain Institute
- Everyday Neuro with Dr Janine Cooper
- Kwik Brain with Jim Kwik
- The Brain Warrior’s Way Podcast with Daniel and Tana Amen
Search for these free podcast titles from your preferred podcast provider.
On the web
Discover fun brain facts:
- Healthy Brain Resources | Brain Foundation
- 10 Amazing Facts About the Brain | Queensland Brain Institute - UQ
- Puzzles for Kids and Adults | Dana Foundation
- 14 weird brain exercises that help you get smarter | Australia Reader’s Digest
- Training Your Brain in Lockdown | The University of Melbourne.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.