Roll your own balls with Daneyl Green
Join Daneyl Green from Mix Taste Eat on Wednesday 10 June at 10am on Facebook to start making healthy snacks using staple items from your pantry.
If you are one of those kind of throw-all-the-ingredients-in-and-blend types, this is the session for you.
- Discover the many flavour combinations you can create for healthy eating.
- Find out how to make food that enhances your health.
- Learn about how different dried fruits adds flavour and how nut free ones can be made with sunflower seeds or pepitas for school friendly snacks.
Cacao Date Balls
1½ cup pitted dried dates, ½ cup almonds, 2 tbs sunflower seeds, 2 tsp cacao powder, 2 tsp desiccated coconut, 1 tsp coconut oil, pinch of salt
Carrot Bliss Balls
2 carrots, chopped, 1½ cup cashews, 1 cup dates, 1 tsp of vanilla essence, 1 tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp macadamia oil
Pistachio and Cranberry Balls
2/3 cup shelled unsalted pistachios, 2/3 cup dried cranberries, 1 tsp vanilla, hemp seeds to roll in.
Sunshine Coast Libraries members have loaned healthy eating titles 31,421 times! While you are on the couch, check out the range of titles on eBooks and eMagazines available through libraries. Free access 24/7 with your library card or to get the full healthy eats experience head to the library catalogue to reserve these little kitchen champions.
- Bliss Bites by Kate Bradley. Over 50 gluten-free, vegan and plant-based recipes – some savoury, some sweet, all inventive and delicious.
- Superfood energy balls and bites: nutrient-rich, healthful and wholesome snacks by Nicola Graimes – 65 easy-to-make recipes for superfood balls, bars and bites.
- Clean sweets: simple, high-protein desserts for one: with gluten-free, sugar-free, vegan, paleo and keto options by Arman Liew. Single? This new cookbook puts you back in the dessert game with no need to purchase expensive one-off items.
- Whole Food Energy: 200 all-natural recipes to kick-start, sustain and replenish by Elise Museles – from breakfast smoothies to granola balls and quinoa cakes, so many choices to keep you refuelled and recovered.
- What the fat?: low-carb, healthy-fat cooking: delicious, healthy and simple with more than 130 low-carb and keto-friendly recipes for you and your family by Grant Schofield.
- Super healthy snacks and treats: more than 60 easy recipes for energising, delicious snacks free from gluten, dairy, refined sugar and eggs by Zoe Jenna
- Smart snacks: 100+ quick and nutritious recipes for surviving the school years: mood-boosting food for kids and teens by Flip Shelton. Fill up your little treasures with these tasty, healthy treats.
- Snack Power by Tiffiny Hall: features 225 recipes from Tiffiny’s fitness program including the best pre- and post-workout snacks.
First time downloading from our eLibrary? Join online. Just enter your details for membership to access thousands of online resources.
Need help accessing the eLibrary? Contact libraries to get immediate and expert help with accessing and using the eLibrary on your device. eLibrary Helpdesk staff will help connect you to your favourite authors, the music you love, great movies to entertain the whole family and a great range of magazines. The eLibrary Helpdesk operates between 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Libraries love these healthy eats eBooks:
- Energy Bites: high protein recipes for increased vitality and wells by Kate Turner. Move over granola, these bite-sized balls of balanced nutrition are great super snacks.
- Energy Balls: improve your physical performance, mental focus, sleep, mood and more by Christal Sczebel. Crafted with whole ingredients, superfoods and all-natural proteins, vegan and gluten-free options.
- Supernatural everyday by Heidi Swanson. Cook with whole, natural foods straight out of from Heidi’s Northern California kitchen.
- Gluten-free, sugar-free cooking: over 200 delicious recipes to help you live a healthier, allergy-free life by Susan O’Brien. These tasty dishes are also invaluable for people who must avoid certain foods to better control their symptoms.
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started, download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Listen on the go with these healthy eating podcasts:
- Nutrition Diva’s Quick and Dirty Tips: Nutrition Diva Monica Reinagel serves up simple, painless ways to upgrade your eating habits. Before you know it, you'will be eating healthier and feeling more fabulous.
- Dr Joanna: Join Scottish-born Dr Joanna McMillan (one of Australia’s favourite and best-known nutrition and lifestyle specialists) on a variety of podcasts about healthy eating.
- Sound Bites: If you are ready to move your nutrition understanding to the next level, beyond the simple tips and advice and into the science behind it all, then you might be interested in this podcast hosted by dietitian Melissa Joy Dobbins.
- Food in Session Nutrition Podcast: Healthy eating, cooking and lifestyle made simple. Features Food in Session nutrition podcast show notes, recipes and nutrition tips. Co-hosted by a clean eating chef and author and a dietitian.
All podcasts are free and available to listen on: Android - Google Play, Procast, Downcast, Pocket Casts, Player FM and AntennaPod. iOS - Apple Podcasts app, RadioPublic, Pocket Casts, Castbox, Podbean and Stitcher. You can also stream podcast from Spotify.
Catch up on these bliss ball blogs:
- Mix Taste Eat: follow Daneyl Green as she creates menu plans and recipes to teach people how to cook at home with healthy ingredients.
- Kayla Itsines: six of the best bliss ball recipes from one of Australia’s famous (and loved) fitness trainers.
- Tiffxo: the black belt trainer from the Biggest Loser and Gladiators Tiffiny Hall shares her top 9 snack happy bliss ball recipes
- Mykidslickthebowl: meet Stacey, mum of 4 from New Zealand making kid-friendly food. See her carrot energy bites minus the sugar and other nasties.
Set up a healthy snacks soundtrack with these rock n’ roll ballers.
- Great Balls of Fire by Jerry Lee Lewis
- Ball and Biscuit by The White Stripes
- Wrecking Ball by Miley Cyrus
- Bliss by Muse
- Set Adrift on Memory Bliss by P.M. Dawn
- Bliss by Tori Amos
- It’s Nice to Be Alive by Ball Park Music
Get unlimited music streaming and download five tracks per week with Freegal. Download from the Sony catalogue and thousands of smaller labels. Sign in with your library member number and password.
Stream healthy eating sessions on Kanopy.
The Everyday Gourmet: making healthy food taste great: learn how to use healthy ingredients and seasonings, particularly international cuisines to liven up your diet. See this six episode series taught by nutrition instructor and master chef from the Culinary Institute of America.
Food Matters: let thy food be thy medicine Join the world’s leading authorities on nutrition and natural healing. Find out what works, what does not and what is killing you.
Set up a Kanopy account to access more films for free. First time customer - select "Add Library Card" and enter your member number and password. Create a Kanopy account, then verify your email address. Repeat customers - login to Kanopy using your email and Kanopy password.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.