Discover a life-time of love for the humble chicken
There is a simple but satisfying pleasure from keeping your own backyard chickens. They provide a wholesome and versatile food source, do wonders for your garden (with proper safeguards in place) and provide entertainment, companionship and relaxation. Children enjoy these feathered friends and they can help teach chores and responsibility while still being fun. Everyone will benefit from the fresh, bright yellow yolks of the eggs – there is simply nothing like them!
Baby chicks are very cute but will grow up and require commitment and work. So, before you join the backyard chicken revolution sweeping Australia, there are a few things to consider.
Tips and tricks
- Make sure you have adequate space and can comply with council requirements.
- Think about the noise and odour factors and be a considerate neighbour.
- Could you become self-sufficient with an automatic feed and watering set up?
- What breed are you looking for and how much are you prepared to spend? Read this great article on the different breeds.
- Can you provide adequate safety and shelter for chickens? Check out this plan.
- How will you stop the chickens from scratching in your flower bed?
Once you decide to take the plunge and join the Backyard Chicken Revolution – you will not look back. There are benefits abound and it will become a life-time of love for the humble chicken.
Reserve these physical items and collect from your local library:
- Happy hens: All you need to know to keep your chooks happy and content by Organic Garden Magazine
- The contented chook: practical tips and inspirational ideas for keeping your hens happy by Gardening Australia
- This chicken life: stories of chickens and the Australians who love them by Fiona Scott-Norman
- The chicken whisperer's guide to zero-waste chicken keeping: reduce, reuse, recycle by Andy Schneider and Brigid McCrea
- The homesteader’s natural chicken keeping handbook: raising a healthy flock from start to finish by Amy K. Fewell
- 101 chicken keeping hacks from fresh eggs daily by Lisa Steele
- Backyard chickens: beyond the basics by Pam Freeman
- Backyard chickens: how to keep happy hens by Dave Ingham
- The chicken keeper's problem solver by Chris Graham
Learn to get eggs galore with these backyard chook eBooks:
- A chicken in every yard: the Urban Farm Store’s guide to chicken keeping by Robert Lift
- The Backyard Homestead Guide to raising farm animals: choose the best breeds for small-space farming, produce your own grass-fed meat, gather fresh eggs, collect fresh milk, make your own cheese, keep chickens, turkeys, ducks, rabbits, goats, sheep, pigs, cattle, & bees by Gail Damerow
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password. Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Stream these documentaries with Kanopy:
First time customer - select "Add Library Card" and enter your member number and password. Create a Kanopy account, then verify your email address.
Browse for inspiration with these eMagazines:
- GRIT Country Skills Series
- The New Pioneer
- Good Organic Gardening
- Wellbeing Organic Garden
- Kitchen Garden
- Mother Earth News
- Mother Earth Living
- The Simple Things
- Country Life
To get started using free eMagazines download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Libraries love these chook podcasts:
Learn how to look after your chooks with chicken expert Jessamy Miller and Gardening Australia.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.