Sunshine Coast Libraries offers free and confidential help with general literacy. This includes reading, writing, speaking, listening, maths and basic computer skills.
Training is closely related to each learner's needs to provide:
- the ability to communicate orally and in writing
- improved literacy and numeracy skills
- resources to enhance learning opportunities
- access to wider community services and employment opportunities.
Sessions may be in small groups or as a one-on-one basis. The sessions aim to assist learners to:
- read to their children
- help with homework
- gain a Driver’s Licence
- access an ATM
- gain basic computer skills
- learn life skills
- read newspapers or web pages to access employment opportunities
- learn skills to retain a job or work promotion
- get assistance with vocational courses or learn English.
An interview with Literacy Services staff to determine the best arrangement is required before attending a session. To organise an interview or for more information, email Literacy Services or call (07) 5499 5414.
See also Conversation Circles.
Find out more about becoming a literacy volunteer.