It is said that being a parent is one of the most rewarding jobs going, but it can also be one of the toughest at the best of times. So here are some quality tips and tricks to help make things the best they can be for all our mums, dads and carers.
Tips and tricks
- Encourage kids to help at home (every day without pay) by Michael Grose
- Raisingchildren have these great articles on Preschoolers' behaviour to help you out
- It’s not all about the kids: Psychology Today: 8 ways Parents can stop beating themselves up
- Why self-sufficiency is paramount by Michael Grose
- Kidspot teach us how to use technology to strengthen relationships
- Take a look at this University of Sydney article on Resources for parents working at home with kids
- Learn all about teachable moments for your little ones
- The world needs random acts of kindness like never before. So how do children learn kindness? Check out these Top Tips for teaching kindness
- Make sure to check out Sunshine Coast Libraries First 5 Forever information for all kinds of information this fantastic literacy program.
- Grab a copy of Kids on the Coast online or from your local library.
One of the most important things you can all do right now is to keep your sense of humour.
Reserve these parenting titles and collect from your local library:
- Families in the digital age: every parent’s guide by Toni Hassan
- The big book of 100 outdoor activities by Laura Minter
- Dadding it!: landmark moments in your life as a father...and how to survive them by Rob Kemp
- The new childhood: raising kids to thrive in a connected world by Jordan Shapiro
- Parenting made simple: straightforward, practical strategies for common childhood challenges by Sarah Hughes
- Growing sustainable together: practical resources for raising kind, engaged, resilient children by Shannon Brescher Shea
- Not so mumsy: finding happiness, confidence and your style in motherhood by Marcia Leone
- How to stop losing your sh*t with your kids: effective strategies for stressed-out parents by Carla Naumburg
Not a member? Join online.
Mum’s & Dad’s will love these parenting eBooks:
- Bare minimum parenting: the ultimate guide to not quite ruining your child by James Breakwell
- Smart parenting for safer kids: helping children to make smart choices and stay safe by Freda Briggs
- 13 is the new 18: and other things my children taught me – while I was having a nervous breakdown being their mother by Beth Harpaz
Borrow up to 30 eBooks on your device. To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers, RBDigital and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Need help setting up your device for eBooks? Watch this video tutorial.
How about something to listen to? Check out these parenting eAudiobooks:
- Calm parents, Happy Kids by Laura Markham
- Miss-Connection: why your teenage daughter hates you, expects the world and needs to talk by Justin Coulsen
- How to talk so little kids will listen: a survival guide to life with children ages 2-7 by Joanna Faber
To get started, download the BorrowBox, Libby, and RBDigital apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Need help setting up your device for eAudiobooks? Watch this video tutorial.
Libraries love these eMagazines:
- Mother & Baby
- Pip Permaculture
- Wellbeing Parenting
- Working Mother
- You Play
- Your Family
To get started using free eMagazines, download the RBDigital app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Treat your ears with these great parenting podcasts:
- Parental as anything with Maggie Dent
- UnUnruffledruffled with Janet Landsbury
- What Fresh Hell: Laughing in the face of Motherhood with Margaret Ables and Amy Wilson
- The Longest Shortest Time - an award-winning podcast about parenthood in all of its forms
Love the program? Complete the online survey.