Take advantage of the warmer weather and head outside to explore the Sunshine Coast. The region is rich in beautiful walks and hikes for all ages and fitness levels. Trek inland for picturesque waterfalls, stunning swimming holes and jaw-dropping views or wander through the region’s idyllic coastal pathways.
Not only is walking great for your physical health but it even has mental health benefits including improving memory, focus and sleep. Walking also reduces stress, anxiety and builds resilience. Whether you are looking for a challenge or a casual weekend stroll, we’ve got a range of resources to get you out and about on the Sunshine Coast.
11 ways to get started
- Explore 150 self-guided walking trails with Adventure Sunshine Coast.
- Visit your local library to grab a copy of the Sunshine Coast Coastal Pathway Guide or read it online.
- Learn about the native animals you may see on your walk.
- Discover local plant species that line Sunshine Coast’s pathways.
- Join Facebook groups such as Sunshine Coast Bushwalking, Hiking and Hill Climbing, Hiking on the Sunshine Coast or Sunshine Coast Bush Walks to connect with likeminded locals and share the joy of walking.
- Looking for a challenge? Try the 58.8km, four day Sunshine Coast Hinterland Great Walk. Day visitors can access short half-day and full-day walks within the Great Walk route.
- Check out Urban List’s The Best Beach Walks on the Sunshine Coast.
- Bring the whole family on one of these great bushwalks for kids.
- Before setting off on a long walk, look at these walking tips from the Heart Foundation.
- Bookmark this useful list of Wildlife rescue and care groups.
- Be safety conscious particularly when exploring the Glass House Mountains. Find safety tips here.
Browse for inspiration with these eMagazines
- Great Walks
- Men’s Health
- Women’s Health Australia
- Outdoor Magazine
- Health & Fitness Walk Slim
To get started using free eMagazines download the Libby app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your library membership number and password.
Libraries love this eBook:
To get started download the cloudLibrary and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Enjoy a virtual walking tour with these eMovies:
First time customers, select sign up and choose Sunshine Coast Libraries. Enter your email address and select password to create account.
More library resources
- Nature photography: get tips for capturing and editing photos of your walks with LinkedIn Learning. To get started, log in with your library membership number and password. Search “nature photography”.
- Learn a new language while walking. Try interactive and personalised courses for over 100 languages with Transparent Language Online. First time customers, select Sign Up tab, enter your library member number and create a Transparent Languages account.
Become a Citizen Scientist
- Take part in the Great Aussie Backyard Bird Count each October to help Birdlife Australia understand more about the birds in our region.
- Take part in Australia’s Biggest Frog Count held annually each November. Download the free app to record frog calls and help scientists gather a measurement of for health and distribution across the country.
- Find more Citizen Science projects to join.
Listen on the go with these top podcasts and audiobooks
- Hamish & Andy Podcast: Australian comedy duo Hamish Blake and Andy Lee questions and test the smaller things in life, no pondering too small.
- Casefile True Crime Podcast: Fact is scarier than fiction.
- Phosphoresce: On awe, wonder and things that sustain you when the world goes dark (audiobook) by Julia Baird.
- Where the Crawdads Sing (audiobook) by Delia Owens.
Watch and Learn
- Find your next scenic coastal walk with Sunshine Coast Council’s Coastal Pathways video series.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.