Is your home in need of a tidy and organisation overhaul? Spring is the perfect time to clean, declutter and organise your space. For many just the thought of a deep-clean is overwhelming but it doesn't have to be difficult.
Spring cleaning and decluttering even has great benefits for your health. It strengthens the immune system, improves mental health, improves sleep quality, exercises your body and boosts productivity. Whether you only have five minutes or a whole weekend to spare, we’ve got great tips and reads for a sparkling home.
6 tips to get started
- Avoid becoming overwhelmed by making a schedule to tackle each task or room. Check out this 30-day spring cleaning checklist
- Get the whole family involved. Explore DIY chore charts for age-appropriate chores
- Concerned about harsh cleaning chemicals? Try these DIY low tox home recipes
- Get tips from tidying queen, Marie Kondo using the KonMari Method
- Consider donating unwanted clothes and textiles. Find a Recycling service near you
- Join Facebook groups such as Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia, Mums Who Clean, Cleaning Tips & Tricks and The Organised Housewife to share cleaning and decluttering hacks
Libraries love these eBooks:
- How to Keep House While Drowning: a gentle approach to cleaning and organising by KC Davis
- Joy at Work: The Life-Changing Magic of Organising Your Working Life by Marie Kondo
- Decluttering at the Speed of Life: Winning Your Never-Ending Battle with Stuff by Dana White
- Less Stuff by Lindsay Miles
- Mindfulness for Beginners by Elizabeth Broks
- Spark Joy: An illustrated guide to the Japanese art of tidying by Marie Kondo
To get started download the cloudLibrary and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Browse for inspiration with these eMagazines
- Better Homes and Gardens Australia
- Real Simple Secrets to a Clean Home
- HGTV Magazine
- Australian Home Beautiful
- Australian House and Garden
To get started using free eMagazines download the Libby app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your library membership number and password.
Get in the cleaning mood with these playlists on Freegal:
I Love Rock ‘N’ Roll
R N B Allstars
Shake off the stress
To get started download the Freegal app. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
More library resources
- Considering decluttering your collectables or inherited items? Check Carter’s Price Guide to Antiques and Collectables.
- Find out how to declutter your mind and space at work and home with LinkedIn Learning. Search “declutter”.
- Declutter your finances with helpful budgeting courses in LinkedIn Learning. Search “budget”.
To get started with LinkedIn Learning, log in with your library membership number and password.
Watch and learn
- Learn the simple rules to recycling everyday situations with Sunshine Coast Council’s Recycling Right video series.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.