After a long day at work, cooking dinner is often the last thing you feel like doing. This is where meal planning and preparation comes in. From batch cooking to individually portioned meals or prepped ingredients, there are several simple ways to ease yourself into this practice.
Not only is meal prepping a great way to save time, money and reduce waste but it can also make it easier to choose healthier options. Whether you want to start small or are ready to dive into a full week of prepped meals, we have got you covered with great recipes and cookbooks.
Tips to get started
- Get organised – an organised kitchen, pantry and refrigerator makes it easier to know exactly what you have on hand.
- Make time – dedicate some time each week to planning your menu.
- Use your freezer – cook certain foods or meals in large batches and freeze them for later.
- Visit taste.com.au for meal prep ideas to spend less time cooking and more time living.
- Find out everything you have ever wanted to know about meal prepping like a pro.
- Grow your own food and get involved with one of Sunshine Coast Council’s community gardens.
- Learn how to love your leftovers with this video series.
- ‘Like’ these Facebook pages for meal prepping ideas: MealPrep Society and Meal Prep Australia or join the Budget Meal Planners and Recipe Ideas group.
Libraries love these eBooks:
- Better Homes and Gardens Make-Ahead Meals: 150+ recipes to enjoy every day of the week by Better Homes and Gardens
- The Great Thermo Meal Prep Cookbook by Tracey Pattison
- The Genius Life: Heal Your Mind, Strengthen Your Body, and Become Extraordinary by Max Lugavere
- Plants Only Kitchen: Over 70 delicious, super-simple, powerful & protein-packed recipes for busy people by Gaz Oakley
- The Quick Six Fix: 100 No-Fuss, Full-Flavor Recipes – Six Ingredients, Six Minutes Prep, Six Minutes Cleanup by Stuart O’Keefe
Browse for inspiration with these eMagazines:
- Better Nutrition
- Clean Eating
- Easy Meals
- Eat Well
- One-Pan Dinners
- Slow Cooker
To get started using free eMagazines download the Libby app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your library membership number and password.
Go on a culinary journey with these movies on Beamafilm:
- Toast: Toast is the ultimate nostalgia trip through everything edible in 1960’s Britain.
- Haute Cuisine: An obscure cook form a Périgord truffle farm makes waves in the Élysée Palace when she becomes the personal chef of France’s president.
- City of Gold: Food critic Jonathan Gold explores Los Angeles.
First time customer, select Add Library Card and enter your member number and password. Create a Beamafilm account, then verify your email address.
Listen on the go with these podcasts
Dinner Sisters Each week Kate and Betsy search out, cook, laugh and compare notes on three new recipes from top food bloggers and chat about life in the kitchen.
Real Food on a Budget (Momables Podcast) In this episode the hosts discuss how feeding your family fresh foods does not have to be expensive. You’ll hear lots of real-life tips to keep your shopping simple and on a budget.
Meal Prep Monday Brings you 10 minutes of actionable meal prep advice, helping you answer the dreaded "What's for Dinner?" question with ease.
More library resources
- Learn how to create a budget to suit you and your family with LinkedIn Learning. To get started, log in with your library membership number and password. Search “budget”.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.