Do you want to learn how to make your own jewellery? From wire pendant wraps to polymer clay earrings or beaded bracelets, there are many different types of jewellery you can make at home. Not only is this a fun and addictive hobby, but it has the added benefit that you get to wear what you create! It is also a means to express your creativity in an enjoyable and relaxing way.
Jewellery making is a great hobby for people of all ages. Your creations can also make great handmade gifts for loved ones. Keep reading for tips and ideas to start your handcrafted jewellery journey.
5 ways to get started:
- Read this Beading 101: How to get started making jewellery article
- Upcycle your old spoons or forks and make your own DIY silverware jewellery
- Discover how to create nature inspired jewellery with the wearable art videos in this series
- Check Pinterest for jewellery inspiration and ideas you can recreate
- Join Facebook groups like Beads, Jewellery & Craft Making Material and Art of Jewelry Making - Beginners to see or share tips and tutorials.
Libraries love these crafty eBooks:
- Create Jewelry – Stones: Stunning Designs to Make and Wear by Marlene Blessing and Jaime Hogsett
- Crochet One-Skein: 101 projects from crocheters around the world by Judith Durant
- Macrame for Beginners and Beyond: 24 easy macrame projects for home and garden by Amy Mullins and Marnia Ryan-Raison
- Loom Magic Xtreme!: 25 spectacular, never-before-seen designs for rainbows of fun by John McCann, Becky Thomas and Monica Sweeney
- The Weekend Woodworker’s Project Collection: 40 projects for the time-challenged craftsman by Popular Woodworking
To get started download the cloudLibrary and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your membership number and password.
Listen on the go with these jewellery-themed eAudiobooks.
- The Lost Jewels by Kirsty Manning
- The Pearl Thief by Fiona McIntosh
- The Bling Ring by Nancy Jo Sales
- Golden Earrings by Belinda Alexandra
To get started download the BorrowBox, Libby and uLibrary apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Browse for inspiration with these eMagazines:
- Creative Beading Magazine
- Lapidary Journal Jewelry Artist
- 52 Bracelets
- Create Jewelry: 101 All-New Designs
- Best of Creative Jewelry
To get started using free eMagazines download the Libby app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your library membership number and password.
More Library Resources
Found some old jewellery at home? Learn about antiques, manufacturers, designers and periods with Carter’s Price Guide to Antiques and Collectables.
Jewellery photography: Get tips for capturing and editing photos of your jewellery creations with LinkedIn Learning. To get started, log in with your library membership number and password. Search “jewellery”.
Jewellers Academy Podcast: Jessica Rose is a serial jewellery business owner. Each week, you'll hear tips, support and practical advice on how to launch your jewellery or handmade business as well as inspiring interviews.
For the Love of Jewelers: For the Love of Jewelers podcast connects listeners with the honest, inspirational stories of leaders and influencers engaged in the art and business of jewelry-making.
The Jewellers Podcast (Spotify): Listen to professional jewellers and industry makers and shakers for insights to a broad range of subjects in the jewellery trade.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.