Heroes and icons. These are the people whose incredible lives have changed the landscape in history or who have made a difference to people’s lives with their craft.
It is in our nature to be curious, and the lives of others always seem more glamorous and exciting than our own. Immerse yourself in someone else’s story and become captivated by the heroes and icons that you admire.
Libraries have a large range of new release biographies. Drop into your local Sunshine Coast Libraries location to find your next iconic hero read or download one of our popular eBooks or Audiobooks from the extensive eLibrary.
Libraries love these eBooks:
- The Boys: A Memoir of Hollywood and Family by Ron and Clint Howard
- Traitor King: The scandalous exile of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor by Andrew Lownie
- The Chief Witness: Escape from China’s modern-day concentration camps by Sayragul Sauybay and Alexandra Cavelius
- Vida: A woman for our time by Jacqueline Kent
- Black and Blue: A memoir of racism and resilience by Veronica Gorrie.
To get started download the cloudLibrary and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and passwords.
Stream eMovies on Beamafilm:
- Bruce Springsteen: On the road (PG) – What made Bruce Springsteen one of the most influential songwriters of the 20th Century?
- Stephanie in the Water (M) – Professional surfer Stephanie Gilmore dominated the sport for four years, until a violent turn of events abruptly ended her winning streak. Follow Stephanie on the professional circuit as she reassesses her future.
- The Standbys (PG) – A documentary revealing the under-appreciated, highly demanding world of Broadway Understudies and Standbys.
- Ingrid Bergman (PG) – A captivating look behind the scenes of the remarkable life of a young Swedish girl who become one of the most beloved and celebrated actresses of American cinema.
First-time customer – select Add Library Card and enter your member number and password. Create a Beamafilm account, then verify your email address.
Listen anywhere, anytime to these eAudiobooks:
- 65 Roses and a Trunki by Rob Law
- The Happiest Man on Earth by Eddi Jaku
- Codebreaking Sisters: Our secret war by Jean Owtram
- Great Australian Volunteer Firies Stories by Bill ‘Swampy’ Marsh
- Gun to the Head by Keith Banks.
To get started, download the BorrowBox and Libby apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Listen on the go to these podcasts:
- All the Dirt with Steve Wood and Deryn Thorpe
- Gardening Australia with Costa Georgiadis ABC (Podbean)
- The Hungry Gardener with Fabian Capomolla.
Search for these free podcast titles from your preferred podcast provider.
Enjoy one of these true story DVDs:
- Respect (M) – Following the rise of Aretha Franklin's career from a child singing in her father's church's choir to her international superstardom as the Queen of Soul.
- Audrey: More than an icon (PG) – Actress, humanitarian, film and fashion icon, Audrey Hepburn was undoubtedly one of the greatest legends from the Golden Age of Hollywood. But who was the real Audrey?
- Son of the South (M) – Based on the true story of Bob Zellner, a Klansman's grandson, who is forced to face the rampant racism of his own culture. Defying his family and white Southern norms, he embraces the fight against social injustice, repression and violence to change the world he was born into.
- Saint Judy (M) – The true story of immigration attorney Judy Wood as she represents and fights for Asefa Ashwari, an Afghan woman who was forced to flee her home country after being persecuted by the Taliban for opening a school for girls.
- Dark Waters (M) – Robert Bilott a tenacious attorney uncovers a dark secret that connects a growing number of unexplained deaths due to one of the world's largest corporations.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.