Its been coined as "The great resignation" by associate professor at Texas A&M University, Anthony Klotz. The term evolved during the pandemic in response to millions of workers in the USA suffering from burnout, re-evaluating their work-life balance and quitting their jobs.
PWC Australia recently survey 1,800 Australian workers from the frontline to the back office and found that 38% are planning to leave their job over the next 12 months (source).
If you have been weighing up your options and wanting to explore a new career or better life-work balance, then Libraries have resources to help navigate these tricky decisions.
Drop into your local library or download an eBook or eAudiobook from the extensive eLibrary or even learn some new skills online.
Life changing tips in these eBooks:
- Emotional Female by Yumiko Kadota
- Atomic Habits by James Clear
- Don’t Keep Your Day Job: How to turn your passion into career by Cathy Heller
- Change Your Life in an Hour: Don’t believe you can? You’re’ already doing it by Laura Archer
- Think Again: The power of knowing what you don’t know by Adam Grant.
To get started download the ePlatform by Wheelers and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and passwords.
Listen on the go to these eAudiobooks:
- The Squiggly Career by Helen Tupper
- Blank: Why it’s fine to falter and fail and how to pick yourself up again by Jim Daly
- Choose Possibility: How to master risk and thrive by Sukhinder Singh Cassidy
- The Most Powerful You: 7 brave paths to building the career of your dreams by Kathy Caprino
- Atomic Habits: The life-changing million copy bestseller by James Clear.
To get started, download the BorrowBox and Libby apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Stream these eMovies about our Aussie soldiers on Beamafilm:
- Free Guy (M) – A bank teller, who discovers he is actually a background player in an open-world video game, decides to become the hero of his own story, one that he can rewrite himself.
- The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (PG) – When Walter Mitty’s job along with that of his co-worker are threatened, Walter takes action in the real world embarking on a global journey that turns into an adventure more extraordinary than anything he could have ever imagined.
- My Salinger Year (M) – Joanna impulsively quits graduate school and arrives in New York to pursue her dream of becoming a published poet. She manages to get her foot in the door, landing a coveted role as assistant to Margaret, a brusque and old-fashioned literary agent.
First time customer – select Add Library Card and enter your member number and password. Create a Beamafilm account, then verify your email address.
More library resources
LinkedIn Learning – Online learning platform for students, general community and business to learn or upskill in software, creative and business skills. Tutorials in seven languages are taught by recognised industry experts. Login with your library membership. On the App, click on "Sign in with your library card" and type "sunshinecoastlibraries" at the end of the url. Proceed to login with your library membership number and password.
thecomputerschool.net – Tutorials from beginners to advanced on computers, tablets, smartphones, smartTV, social media and digital photography. Sign in with your library membership number.
Entrepreneurship Database – Tools and resources to help entrepreneurs and students navigate the complex world of small business including industry reports, video clips, ‘how to’ books, templated forms, business plan samples, and more from top publishers. Sign into the State Library of Queensland using your SLQ membership.
Listen on-the-go with these podcasts:
- The Great Resignation: Should I Quit My Job? | The Quicky (Mamamia Podcasts)
- Buckle up, The Great Resignation is heading Australia’s way | This Working Life (Apple Podcasts)
- The Great Resignation | Hello Monday with Jessi Hempel (Podtail).
Search for these free podcast titles from your preferred podcast provider.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.