Are you looking to add more fresh ingredients to your meals? Convenience foods like pre-packaged options and takeaway have been popular for decades; however, nothing beats a delicious home cooked meal. Cooking from scratch means preparing a meal by using ingredients that are not processed.
Not only does homemade food taste better and cost less, but it's also nutritious. You can also cut down on your grocery expenses and control the ingredients in home cooked meals. Getting back in the kitchen doesn’t have to be a daunting concept because there are super simple delicious recipes to start your cooking journey. If you’d like to learn how to improve your cooking skills at home, keep reading!
7 ways to get started:
- Find out how to make savoury bliss balls, fermented foods, blend teas and love your leftovers with this video playlist
- Make your own seasoning with these basic recipes for homemade spice blends
- Consider joining a community garden. Community gardens are a great way to meet people, share gardening skills and grow your own food
- Bake delicious bakery-style loafs like this artisan bread or sourdough
- Learn how to make cheese with this simple recipe for homemade cheese
- Perfect your homemade pasta, shortcrust skills and more with this collection of cooking from scratch recipes
- Join Facebook groups like Budget cooking from scratch, slow cooking and freezing, Cooking From Scratch on Debbie’s Back Porch, and Fermenting For Beginners for great recipes, tips and tricks to start cooking
Libraries have a large range of cookbooks and recipe inspiration. Drop into your local Sunshine Coast Library to find your next read or download one of our popular eBooks or audiobooks from our extensive eLibrary.
Libraries love these eBooks:
- One Bowl Baking: Simple, Form Scratch Recipes for Delicious Desserts by Yvonne Ruperti
- Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking: 275 great-tasting, from-scratch recipes from around the world, perfect for every meal and for anyone on a gluten-free diet – and even those who aren’t by Kelli Bronski
- The Joy of Cheesemaking: the ultimate guide to understanding, making and eating fine cheese by Jody M. Farnham
- Fermenting Made Simple: Delicious recipes to improve your gut health by Emillie Parrish
- BakeClass Step by Step: Recipes for savoury bakes, bread, cakes, biscuits and desserts by Anneka Manning
To get started download the cloudLibrary and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your membership number and password.
Browse for inspiration with these eMagazines:
- The Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Bake From Scratch
- Eat Well
- Forks Over Knives
- One-Pan Dinners
To get started using free eMagazines download the Libby app, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your library membership number and password.
Go on a culinary journey with these movies on Beamafilm:
- Toast: Toast is the ultimate nostalgia trip through everything edible in 1960’s Britain.
- Haute Cuisine: An obscure cook form a Périgord truffle farm makes waves in the Élysée Palace when she becomes the personal chef of France’s president.
- City of Gold: Food critic Jonathan Gold explores Los Angeles
First time customers, select Add Library Card and enter your member number and password. Create a Beamafilm account, then verify your email address.
Watch and Learn
- From Mediterranean cooking to baking pastries and more, find out how to get started with The Great Courses on hoopla BingePass.
First time customers, enter your library member number follow the prompts to sign up. Borrow The Great Courses BingePass and select the Food and Drink category.
Listen on the go with these podcasts and audiobooks
- The Food Fight (Apple Podcasts): Join Stef Posthuma and Simon Evans as they chat about the realities of the food and hospitality industries.
- The Junkees (Spotify Podcasts): Dave O'Neil and Kitty Flanagan investigate junk food, old and new. It's a roundabout of salt and sweet, bygone and brand new, crunchy and chewy.
- Off the Menu: Comedians Ed Gamble and James Acaster invite special guests into their magical restaurant to each choose their favourite starter, main course, side dish, dessert and drink.
- The Kitchen Counter: The show that's dedicated to helping aspiring home cooks grow their skills and confidence in the kitchen
- Keto Bread: 50 Easy-to-follow low carb recipes for your ketogenic diet (audiobook) by Sarah Meyers
To get started download the Libby app. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Love the program? Complete the online survey.