Stoic teachings have been around since the 3rd century BC, but they are still relevant in modern life. Stoicism developed as a response to difficult, uncertain times not dissimilar to our current ever-changing world.
Stoicism is the philosophy that nothing about the world is good or bad and that we have control over both our judgments and our reactions to things. Stoic principles offer strategies that focus on how to think about and deal with hardships. As Seneca said, ‘It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that things are difficult.’
Libraries have a range of titles exploring Stoicism as well as other ancient and modern philosophies. Discover why some people still find the ancient teachings practised by the Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius, comforting today.
Libraries love these eBooks:
- The Stoic Challenge by William B. Irvine
- Humankind: A hopeful history by Rutger Bregman
- The Problems of Philosophy by Bertrand Russell
To get started download the cloudLibrary and Libby apps. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and passwords.
Relax and enjoy these eMagazines:
Get started using free eMagazines online or download the Libby app. Select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Listen anywhere, anytime with these eAudiobooks:
- Philosophy For Life: And other dangerous situations by Jules Evans
- The History of Philosophy by A.C Grayling
- The Consolations of Philosophy by Alain De Botton
- Medieval Philosophy by Sharon M. Kaye
To get started, download the BorrowBox and Libby apps, select Sunshine Coast Libraries and enter your member number and password.
Stream philosophical eMovies on Beamafilm:
- In Bob We Trust | Melbourne Priest, irreverent philosopher and working class hero (PG)
- The Pervert’s Guide to Ideology | Brilliant philosopher Slavoj Zizek and filmmaker Sophie Fiennes use their inventive interpretation of moving pictures to examine ideology (M)
- Just a Beginning | A pre-school class studies philosophy (PG)
First time customer, select Add Library Card and enter your member number and password. Create a Beamafilm account, then verify your email address.
Listen on the go with these podcasts:
- The Philosopher’s Zone with David Rutledge
- History of Philosophy | Without Any Gaps with Peter Adamson
- The Daily Stoic with Ryan Holiday
Search for these free podcast titles from your preferred podcast provider.
Check out more info on the web:
- What is Stoicism? | Daily Stoic – Ancient wisdom for everyday life
- 5 Modern Philosophical Dilemmas | Pursuit – The University of Melbourne
- Stoicism in the Workplace: A new look at old philosophy | In The Black
Love the program? Complete the online survey.