Sunshine Coast Libraries keep the region’s past alive through the collection, preservation and interpretation of local heritage stories and materials.
Heritage Library services
The Heritage Library provides answers about Sunshine Coast people, places, parks and road names, house histories, school talks, tours and more. Specialist research assistance is available at the Heritage Library located on the first floor of Nambour Library.
The main Heritage collection is at Nambour library. Smaller collections, relevant to specific areas, can be accessed at Beerwah, Caloundra, Coolum, Kawana, Kenilworth, Maleny and Maroochydore libraries.
What the Heritage Library can help you with
- Picture Sunshine Coast – a collection of over 10,000 historical photographs.
- Resources across the Sunshine Coast including books, maps, brochures, pamphlets.
- Nambour Chronicle – the main newspaper for the Sunshine Coast from 1903-1983.
- Equipment use including the digital Nambour Chronicle and film reader.
- Oral Histories – truly engaging stories of life in the past.
- Aboriginal History – the Aboriginal legend of the Sunshine Coast.
- History by locality – local histories, place names and historical bibliography.
- Heritage Library also presents film nights and exhibitions at library branches.
- Collection Care – advice and information about preserving, repairing and storing valuable family photographs, books and other material.
Talks and Tours
Would you like Heritage Library to do a free talk at your school or organisation about the history of the local area? Topics include:
- local Aboriginal history
- Sunshine Coast Then and Now 1800s – today
- local pioneers
- military history of the region.
Contact the Heritage Library
Complete the library contact form and select 'Heritage Library'.
Telephone: (07) 5475 8989 and ask for the Heritage Library.
Sunshine Coast Council Cultural Heritage
You can subscribe to council's Heritage eNewsletter, or view the latest edition . The eNewsletter includes Heritage Library news and events.
Image credit: Residence of Tom Rose located near the Balmoral Ridge Lookout on the Maleny - Montville Road, ca 1910.